This software implements five state of the art algorithms aimed to enhance the quality of underwater images. It’s capable to automatically process a set of images within a directory, with all algorithms or just a subset of them. The Image Enhancement Tool comes with a simple GUI and it can be executed on Windows 64 bit operating systems (Windows 10 recommended).
Automatic Color Enhancement (ACE)
Implementation realized by adapting the C code obtained from http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2012/g-ace/.
1. Pascal Getreuer, Automatic Color Enhancement (ACE) and its Fast Implementation, Image Processing On Line, 2 (2012), pp. 266–277.
Contrast Limited Automatic Histogram Equalization (CLAHE)
Implementation provided by OpenCV library.
1. S.M. Pizer, E.P. Amburn, J.D. Austin, R. Cromartie, A. Geselowitz, T. Greer, B.M. ter Haar Romeny, J.B. Zimmerman, and K. Zuiderveld, “Adaptive Histogram Equalization and its Variations,” Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, vol. 39, 1987, pp. 355-368.
2. K. Zuiderveld, “Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization,” Chapter VIII.5, Graphics Gems IV. P.S. Heckbert (Eds.), Cambridge, MA, Academic Press, 1994, pp. 474-485.
Lab Color Correction (LAB)
Implementation realized by porting the MATLAB version of the algorithm.
1. Bianco, G., et al. “A new color correction method for underwater imaging.” The International Archives of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 40.5 (2015): 25.
Non-Local Dehazing (NLD)
Implementation realized by porting the MATLAB code found at http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~berman/NonLocalDehazing/.
1. Berman, Dana, and Shai Avidan. “Non-local image dehazing.” Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. 2016.
Screened Poisson equation (SP)
Implementation realized by adapting the C code obtained from http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2014/84/.
1. Morel, Jean-Michel, Ana-Belen Petro, and Catalina Sbert. “Screened Poisson equation for image contrast enhancement.” Image Processing On Line 4 (2014): 16-29.
* Indicates required field
2016, D. Skarlatos, P. Agrafiotis, T. Balogh, F. Bruno, F. Castro, B. Davidde Petriaggi, S. Demesticha, A. Doulamis, P. Drap, A. Georgopoulos, F. Kikillos, P. Kyriakidis, F. Liarokapis, C. Poullis, S. Rizvic, 2016. Project iMARECULTURE: Advanced VR, iMmersive serious games and Augmented REality as tools to raise awareness and access to European underwater CULTURal heritagE. International Conference on Cultural Heritage, Nov. 1-5, Nicosia. EuroMed 2016, 8th international conference. Lecture Notes for Computer Science – LNCS, SPRINGER VERLAG.